Monday, February 1, 2016

Cheeky Challenge Time - Week 3


The theme of this third week of the 2016 Cheeky Challenge at Dezinaworld was "Valentines/Love". I wanted to use June's brand new digital Valentines set, specifically that forlorn-looking chap wearing the sign. But I had to think of just the right person to send this card to. Luckily I have an artist friend who celebrates Anti-Valentines, and I had resolved awhile back to send her some mail art.

Sometimes I think 99% of my artistic ideas come about by covering up mistakes. The reason the pink pearly cardstock is cut diagonally? I wish I could say it was what I meant to do all along, but I would be fibbing. Truth is, I was working on another card that had a diagonal cut and after I cut it I realized the cardstock was not long enough for the card base. (Measure twice, cut once yada yada.) I had wanted to use that text stamp with the poor chap and suddenly thought to stamp it on a Tim Holtz film strip diecut, which I did, then colored with Distress inks. Cupid is a stamp and die cut by WPlus9, and the photo corner diecuts are My Favorite Things. I used an EKSuccess punch to cut the little hearts borders, and the big broken heart is also in the digital image set. The paper and the text stamp are so old that I cannot remember who made them.

Anyway, I do wish that big heart was a deeper red but I think that at Valentines we are allowed to mix red and pink, and even use color hues or tones that might clash. Plus, if I were only half-good with digital art, I could have probably deepened the color in PSE before I printed (had I even known I needed to at that time). I stamped Cupid with pigment ink and then heat embossed him, but the ink wasn't that juicy and so the color coverage was thin. Well, did you know you can use alcohol ink markers to color over embossing powder? That literally saved Cupid's butt (area), haha.

I was thinking while I worked on this card, that I probably need to quit doing all these challenges. Earlier, I had a bit of an anxiety attack worrying about the deadlines. Since I work soooooo slooooooowly, the key for me is to begin earlier, I guess. The next theme is "Time Machine", so I need to get my thinking cap on for that one!

Before I go, I wanted to share a second card I made last week (but didn't finish in time) for the "Wildflowers" theme. June doesn't require that we use her images, but I just do as a matter of principle...and I have so many of her images.

I made this for a sister-in-law whose birthday is today and I will hear from her if she liked it. If you remember the Mae West card I made, that was for another sis-in-law whose birthday was yesterday and she was very complimentary. I chose these papers from Basic Grey Hopscotch collection because I thought they went so well with the image's colors, and I used a Spellbinders frame combo die to highlight it. It's ashamed about Basic Grey deciding to quit making papers, although I have enough of their lines to last 3 lifetimes, so I can't say that I'll miss them much. I have so much paper I quit buying it a couple years ago (for the most part - a pad of something will occasionally end up in my cart, how I could not say, lol).

I'll be back in a day or two with my next post  - I have more to share. I may be slow, but I've been a busy girl! Stay warm and crafty!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes it is difficult to find one another!
Now I did!
Herzlich Pippa

genie said...

Thank you for your thoughts on my Google post. I am just going to go with the flow and forget the whole thing. I just love your artwork. Your Love-Valentine’s piece is wonderful. You met that prompt beautifully. This was such a fun prompt. I love creating my child’s valentine. Have a happy week. genie

Lillian said...

good work Aimeslee love what you did with these
best outcome sometimes comes from mistakes
..smart to approve all comments
xx
Lillian

Gaby Bee said...

Both cards are gorgeous! You have done a wonderful job.

Have a wonderful art filled week!

Gaby


Beth Norman said...

Wow, what a happy mistake. I absolutely LOVE your Valentines Love. You really know how to put a lot of elements together to make a beautiful project.

Michele said...

i adore your gorgeous valentine. the funny thing about my valentine (thanks for your comment) is that i forgot to link it to the cheeky challenge and i missed the linky deadline. oh well, ha ha! i love your sweet little girl card too -- the bordering is fabulous! have a happy week! xo

Cara said...

OMG! Anti-Valentines Day! Looooove it! Maybe I should contact your friend and we can start a not-a-fan Club LOL
Anyway - excellent card.
And the birthday card is very sweet :O)
Thanks for sharing!
(Hugs) Cara
My Creative Chaos {My Personal Blog}

junemac2 said...

Hi Amy, thank you so much for joining in the challenge. I am so sorry to be a day and a half late posting the new challenge and posting a reply to this one. I am working on it now. I am in the middle of a house move (again ) and everything is hectic and i got behind lol. Time machine is coming up very soon. Also if you had said, i could have made the heart more vibrant for you, maybe next time lol. Love both of your pieces they are truly gorgeous. I adore that little fella, he is so fun. I am sure your friend will love the valentines card.
Hugs June xxx